This is the year. The year of the Bar Mitzvah madness. I re-read my Gift Giving Guidelines and realized it needed a major update!!! So here is the new and updated guide! These numbers are not a hard and fast rule. They are also figures I didn’t pulled out of the sky. I asked A LOT of friends and neighbors. The gifts people are giving in Livingston NJ may not be the same as in Austin, Texas. It’s also a reason I may be homeless next year. This is just a GUIDE. It goes without saying you give what you can! The Mitzvah is a about the celebration and not about the gift but people asked, so I asked and this is what I was told:
MITZVAH GIVING GUIDELINE
- a friend – $36 ($54-$100 if its a close friend and parents not invited)
- a camp friend – $54-72 (Long Island peeps tend to give $72)
- if your child can’t go – $18 (UNLESS it’s a good friend $36)
- you and your spouse (no kids)$300, $318, $354 (depending on level of friendship) (or def $318 if your kids should have been invited and weren’t!)
- you and your spouse with 1 kid – $318,$354, $372, $400 (depending on level of friendship)
- you and your spouse with 2 kids – $400-$500 (unless its totally random and you have no idea why your kids were invited $354)
- you and your spouse with 3 kids – $500
- 4+ kids (good luck, maybe try not to get invited…just kidding) $500+
- your BFF – $418-518 (with your family)
- Single Parent – you and your child $$218-254, you and your two kids $$272-318, you and your three kids $354,$372,$400 (depending on friendship)
- Grandparents – as much as you can 🙂
- B’nai Mitzvah – DOUBLE ($36 each kid – two separate checks if kid going, family of 3, $300 each (so yes a total of $600), family of 4, $400 each, family of 5, $500 each, ETC)
- Couple invited but can’t go $218,$254
Hope this helps!
Agree/Disagree? Thoughts? (please comment below). I would love to know your thoughts.
I also learned a new thing this year. Apparently if just your kid is invited, you send the gift (as in check) back in the RSVP! This saves time, a card AND no issue of your kid losing the card. But if bringing a card, I found a WAY better way to make gift giving easy! Personalize your own Mitzvah Money Card Holders! They come in sets of 25 cards and available in Lulu’s Store – starting at $60 for 25 cards.
Also, I jumped on it when I saw it – the The tween must-have bag to wear to the Mitzvah’s this year is the Jelly Bag. Perfect size for the girls cellphones! They LOVE them!
Or another fave for the girls is the heart clutch! Super cute!
$45 Love Clutch in Lulu’s Store
HAPPY MITZVAH SEASON!!!
p.s would love to hear your thoughts on gift gifting!