When life hands you a diet, may as well make dairy-free blueberry heaven yogurt berry muffins!
Recently I received an amazing gift from my step sister, Marissa. It was a brand new cookbook called Super Grain & Seeds by Amy Ruth Finegold. I LOVE cookbooks, especially healthy ones. Definitely one of my all time favorite gifts. Cookbooks never get old, they look pretty on a bookshelf and they are one gift that is used over and over.
This cookbook, Super Grains & Seeds, is one of my new faves. Marissa raved about the yogurt berry muffins which I made this weekend. They were so fantastic I thought I would share the recipe. You may not recognize some of the ingredients but they can all be found at Whole Foods or Shop Rite in the baking aisle.
DAIRY-FREE BLUEBERRY HEAVEN YOGURT BERRY MUFFIN
Makes 10-12 muffins (I got 12 out of the batter)
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup of teff flour
- 3 tablespoons milled flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt (I used this almond dream coconut yogurt)
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt
- 2 Eggs (*see note at bottom for substitute)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (you can swap this out for a healthier version if you are anti vegetable oil)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or agave syrup (I used agave)
- 1/2 cup apple or pear puree (available online) HOWEVER I used mashed banana instead
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a large handful of blueberries
*Note: If you’d rather not use eggs you could use egg replacer or make a flax-egg mix by combining 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons of water
Line a muffin pan with paper cases
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift the potato starch, baking soda, baking powder and xanthan gum into a mixing bowl.
- Add in the remaining dry ingredients.
- Beat the wet ingredients into the mix one at a time before folding in the blueberries (I used a mixer on the “stir” setting)
- Spoon the muffin mixture into the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 17 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown on top.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for a treat.
ENJOY! They are amazing!! xx
Super Grains & Seeds by Amy Ruth Finegold
p.s. since I am beginning the season of eating clean, comment below if you want me to share more healthy recipes!